So I finally contacted Westerville schools to see if I could get Adam into speech therapy through them. We love Columbus Speech and Hearing but with a new insurance year and $70 a visit, I thought we would try something we're already basically paying for. I emailed the special needs preschool secretary to find out how to go about getting an assessment. The first red flag was "after the second screening...if your child is eligible, would write an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) and get him ready to start school in our program”. Umm, start school in your program? So I asked if that just meant starting therapy through the school or actually taking him out of Central College and sending him there (Adam would NOT be happy about that). She said normally the child would come to their school but they offered "itinerant" services where I could bring him to the ELC each week. But I would be contacted by someone soon to discuss any questions I had.
Yesterday I got the call from Ms. O'Leary. After asking some questions about Adam and his speech and development, she said she was sorry but his issues are too minor. She said they could come and do a first screening if we wanted but she could pretty much guarantee there would be no second one and he would not qualify. Apparently, much like the birth to 3/Help Me Grow Program, if your child does not have major delays, you don't qualify. She said to try again through the schools next year once he is in Kindergarten but speech for preschool is only offered through special needs. As thankful as I am that his Beckwith-Wiedemann Syndrome has given us very few issues, it's still a little frustrating.
Keep pushing. Here they wanted us in because not enough people were taking advantage of what they were offering. Therefore not spending the tax money they get so they want anyone.
ReplyDeleteWe did the itinerate services. We were offered both and got to pick. I wanted to keep him at his preschool also so we had speech come to our house 2 times a month (or weekly, I can't remember now). we have his reevaluation next week and the therapists basically told me he won't qualify anymore. Thats fine. But next year if he needs something he'll just get at elementary school. He's come a LONG way with one on one speech!
~Cheryl