Thursday, June 20, 2013

Team meeting

Adam's speech teacher was commenting on the number of colds he has gotten in the past year.  She said since he is mostly a mouth breather, the air doesn't get filtered through the nose and that could be a reason why.  She mentioned a friend of hers whose daughter has Down's (another syndrome known for their enlarged tongues) who went in for a sleep study and found out she stopped breathing A LOT of times at night .  She had her tonsils and adenoids removed and is doing much better.  She tried to look in Adam's mouth to see if maybe that was causing him to keep his mouth open (other than his congested nose) but she couldn't get a good look.  She said it might be worth checking with his doctor.  That's when I realized that Adam has not been back to Sr. Louis for a check-up in a while.  I thought it might be good before he gets into school full-time to see what the cranio-facial team has to say so I contacted them today to see if they had any dates still available this summer.  The only date left was August 9th.  (Happy birthday to me!)  The meeting takes 3-4 hours for all the specialists to cycle through.  It will be nice to talk to people who are familiar with hemi/BWS!  I hope Adam cooperates.  I think he did fairly well the first time (he was almost 2) but it's hard to remember.  I guess as long as he has the iPad and his DS he'll be OK. Here's all the members of the team....
  •  Audiology
  • Genetic Counseling
  • Neurosurgery
  • Orthodontics
  • Pediatric Dentistry
  • Pediatric Nursing
  • Pediatric Ophthalmology
  • Pediatric Otolaryngology
  • Pediatric Psychology
  • Plastic Surgery
  • Speech/Language Pathology
  • Social Work.

No comments:

Post a Comment