Adam had an awesome first day of school!
Last night was a little rough between excitement and coughing from a cold. I went up around 11 and gave him some Benadryl. I went back downstairs and I heard him go to the bathroom and then he came downstairs. He asked, "What time is it?" I said, "Almost 11 at night." He said, "Oh, MAN!!" He thought it was morning and time to get up. Ha ha!
I was a little worried about trying to get him up this morning but I went in at 6 and actually got him to smile! He requested waffles so waffles he got! I made sure not to get him into dress code until after the syrup was put away. Then we took a couple pictures and headed to the bus stop. Luckily it's only 3 houses down on the corner. We were a little early so when Dave came to the stop we played "Is that your bus?" every time a weird truck or bus came down the street. The bus was a couple minutes late but not too bad. The bus driver introduced herself as Debbie and Adam got right on. Then Dave and I hopped in the car so we could meet him at the bus circle at school and walk him to his room. It only took us 20 minutes to get there so we sat on the bench right in front of the bus circle. The new Headmaster was out there greeting all the kids getting off of buses. We were really surprised there were no other parents there! We waited bus after bus and by now it was almost 8am and I knew school was going to start soon...my anxiety was through the roof! Where's my kid?? Finally the bus pulled up and out came Adam and a ton of other (bigger) kids! I think Westerville and Dublin had the fullest buses. Anyway...we walked Adam to his new classroom, got his stuff put in his cubby, waited for him to find some kids to play with then said our goodbyes. He was fine!! YAY!!
His bus was scheduled to arrive around 4:30 so around 4:20 Olive and I stood on the driveway and watched. A minute later I saw a bus turning onto our street. It was his! Since the bus was coming from the other direction, Debbie didn't want Adam to cross 4 lanes of traffic so she pulled into the neighborhood. Since she was a little early she was going to stop at our house to make sure we were home. I think he is going to be dropped off right at our house from now on since she has to turn to get back onto County Line anyway.
Adam got off the bus with a big smile and thumbs up when I asked about his day. I got him in and changed and we went to the basement so Dave could hear about his day, too. Adam grabbed the box of chocolate Captain Crunch and started talking. It was funny because he started with, "After I got off the bus, I went to my new classroom and put my stuff in my cubby. Oh, yeah, you were there but I don't remember when you left!" Ha ha!
He told us about meeting his senior buddies (but he doesn't know their names). He read "How do dinosaurs go to school?" and he went into great detail about what the dinosaur was doing on each page. He had recess and everyone was playing freeze tag. He had lunch - cheese quesadillas that he didn't really like so he "ate everything else" which I think was fruit and some kind of noodles. He met his Spanish teacher and Science teacher. The Science teacher asked them to draw what science means to them and Adam said he drew explosions and brains. He said they had another recess with more freeze tag. Somewhere in there was a nap/rest time and a talk about following directions/rules. He also explained that his cubby had to be organized a certain way. That's all I can remember but he was very excited about it all!
Dave and I had bought some chocolate cupcakes that had Optimus Prime and Bumblebee transformer rings on them. I showed them to Adam and he said, "You got those for ME? For my first day of school??" Yes. "THANK YOU!!" It was the cutest the way he said it!
He was a bit wound up but fell asleep at 9. YAY!
No comments:
Post a Comment