Friday, February 11, 2011

Decisions Decisions

I think I am going to drive Dave crazy with this whole picking out a preschool thing.  I brought him to the Open House of Little Blessings - the school I really liked but not their times.  He agreed that the staff is super friendly and the classrooms are big and bright, etc.  But their times and that they don't offer any "extras" like music or gym (they say they do some large muscle stuff before dismissal) is bumping them down the list.  He also came along on a tour of All the Children of the World which is a newer (2000) charter preschool up here.  He manned Adam (who was running around like a crazy man) while I tried to listen to the tour guide (we were with 2 other families).  We like that they offer afternoon classes,  teach Spanish, music, and have recess time.  Their location is great to go grocery shopping afterwards - alone! :)  What I don't like is that the student-teacher ratio is 1:10.  There are 2 classrooms for the 3 year olds and they each have 1 teacher to 10 kids.  It seems like everywhere else, there are 2 teachers and between 12-16 kids to a room.  It makes me nervous.  I also noticed on their website that many of the teachers are newer.  I am going to tour Central College Preschool next week in hopes that they have everything I am looking for. The only thing that stinks is their location.
Ourday (where he is at currently) is still in the running.  They do offer afternoon classes from 1:30-4:30 (doesn't 4:30 sound late?).  Adam says he likes his school.  And it is closer...

Oh, and another work-out friend also recommended Central College and Westerville's Preschool Peers program.  I'm trying to get more info from the school district but from what I could find, it is a program for special needs kids.  They enroll about 8 special needs kids and 4 typically developing peers (peer models) .   It sounds interesting, and why not have your kid help out others?  

Friday the 18th is the registration cut-off for many places so a decision will be made by then.  I'm sure any of these places are fine or they wouldn't still be in business, right? I'm just over-analyzing as usual.....

No comments:

Post a Comment